Re: Why does resolv.conf keep changing?

On 2017-10-26 at 11:35, Glenn English wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 25, 2017 at 1:06 AM, Michael Stone <mstone@debian.org> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Oct 23, 2017 at 08:31:05PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>>>
>>> and made immutable. Particularly is the fact that /etc/resolv.conf isn't
>>> a link to something else but contains:
>>>
>>> nameserver 192.168.XX.1
>>> search  host    dns
>>> domain coyote.den
>>
>> Please stop posting that, it uses incorrect syntax
>
> The 'search host dns' line? How do you set that order? I couldn't find
> that from a bit of surfing, and I'd like to have name lookups work in
> that order...

As was explained later on in this thread (and, I presume, would have
been explained to Gene previously in other threads), you set that search
order in /etc/nsswitch.conf, not in /etc/resolv.conf.

'man nsswitch.conf' documents the file, but all you should probably need
to do is look at the existing file, and tweak the 'hosts' line
appropriately.

If what you want is "search /etc/hosts, then search DNS, then give up",
the 'hosts' line you want is:

hosts:          files dns

There are additional options that might make sense, but that's the most
basic form.

My own nsswitch.conf hosts entry, which IIRC is fairly bog-standard
except maybe for a bit of reordering, reads:

hosts:          files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns mdns4

which, according to my understanding, simply adds a few additional types
of DNS lookup into the series before giving up.

--
   The Wanderer