Re: Why does resolv.conf keep changing?

On Monday 23 October 2017 17:51:35 Dan Ritter wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 23, 2017 at 05:03:30PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Monday 23 October 2017 11:48:36 Jude DaShiell wrote:
> > > If you've got dynamic ip addresses as many of us do, that file has
> > > to change to keep your internet connection up.
> >
> > This true, but all the isp's I have dealt with over the last 23
> > years, have all assigned that dynamic address BASED on the MAC of
> > the device doing the requesting. So while my router(s) do use dhcp
> > to get its internet address, I can even swap routers as long as I
> > clone the originals MAC address into the replacement.
>
> You're conflating two different things, Gene.
>
> DHCP assigns a dynamic IP address. That's the main job. And it
> will provide a default router along with that. The original
> poster wants that.
>
> It also has lots of optional bits of data that it can provide,
> but doesn't have to. Among those:
>
> - DNS server addresses
> - default domain names
> - NTP servers
> - TFTP servers
> - NFS servers
>
> The original poster does not want their machine to pay attention
> to any of that, even if it is supplied.
>
> The full list, I think, is a little overwhelming:
>
> https://www.iana.org/assignments/bootp-dhcp-parameters/bootp-dhcp-para
>meters.xhtml
>
> -dsr-

Having looked at the dhcpd code quite some time back, "its complex" is a
gross understatement. But if the OP wants access, his router HAS to use
the address the ISP assigns. Here, my local net is entirely hard coded
and made immutable. Particularly is the fact that /etc/resolv.conf isn't
a link to something else but contains:

nameserver 192.168.XX.1
search 	host	dns
domain coyote.den

And is made immutable.

Where XX is the block in class D that is mine.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)