Re: [SOLVED] Re: Why does resolv.conf keep changing?

On Wed, Oct 25, 2017 at 02:34:52PM -0400, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 25, 2017 at 02:26:35PM -0400, Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:
> > OK.  I was able to dig into this I resolved the problem by telling
> > dhclient to not request the bits of information that would trigger a
> > change to /etc/resolv.conf.
>
> > request subnet-mask, broadcast-address, time-offset, routers,
> >         #domain-name, domain-name-servers, domain-search, host-name,
> >         dhcp6.name-servers, dhcp6.domain-search, dhcp6.fqdn, dhcp6.sntp-servers,
> >         netbios-name-servers, netbios-scope, interface-mtu,
> >         rfc3442-classless-static-routes, ntp-servers;
>
> This only works on SOME dhcp servers, not all.
> See <https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2017/08/msg00087.html>

So, if I understand your post correctly, if I request a particular
option from the DHCP server and it provides that option, dhclient will
respect it.  However, if I do not request a specific option and the
server sends it anyways, dhclient will ignore the fact that I did not
request it (based on the configuration) and use it anyways?

It makes no sense that dhclient would function that way.  I was
actually going to say, "that sounds like a bug."  However, I can't
convince myself that this isn't by design.

Oh well, a hook script it will have to be then.

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sánchez