Re: X crashes when closing one of two running X sessions

On 10/24/2017 09:14 AM, David Wright wrote:
On Tue 24 Oct 2017 at 08:29:50 (-0400), The Wanderer wrote:
On 2017-10-24 at 08:15, Greg Wooledge wrote:

On Tue, Oct 24, 2017 at 07:31:32AM -0400, The Wanderer wrote:

clear_console clears your console if this is possible.  It looks in the
That program is shipped as part of bash, so it looks as if this might
actually be considered a bash bug. I'd see about reporting it there, yes
- either in Debian or upstream.
Definitely not upstream.

wooledg:/usr/src/bash$ tar xzf bash-4.3.30.tar.gz
wooledg:/usr/src/bash$ cd bash-4.3.30
wooledg:/usr/src/bash/bash-4.3.30$ grep -ri clear_console .
wooledg:/usr/src/bash/bash-4.3.30$

I'd never even heard of it until now.  It's definitely a Debian add-on.
Thanks. I hadn't considered checking that way, but it's good to have
this confirmed.
I looked at my ~/.bash_logout and found I had recrafted it
long enough ago to forget doing it, just after starting to
use jessie.

It uses reset, and I often type reset myself, at times like
when the ssh pipe breaks during emacs -nw which throws you back
to a local bash prompt but with no visible cursor and a broken
command history recall.

Cheers,
David.

That fixed it here.  I noticed this problem a few months ago, but never tracked down the source.  About the only time anyone actually logs out of a terminal session on this box is if I need to reboot (such as for a new kernel).  This is an annoyance due to causing an unclean shutdown, but nothing more.  My workaround had been to shut down the X session on vt01 first, then the other two.  But this is better.  I replaced clear_console with a call to reset and the problem went away.  I shut down my dfaughter's X session and logged her out.  My X session on vt01 is still up and running.

Thanks for the tip, David.

Marc