Re: Can imagemagick really be safely purged or removed?

On Mon, 23 Oct 2017 20:23:46 +0100
Roger Lynn <Roger@rilynn.me.uk> wrote:

> On 23/10/17 11:00, Jörg-Volker Peetz wrote:
> > Since I use a pure 64-bit system, I overlooked that only one of
> > imagemagick-6.q16 or imagemagick-6.q16:i386 can be installed.
> > I think it's better to re-install imagemagick-6.q16.
> > And then show the output when trying to purge imagemagick, please.
> > I think there must be involved a i386 version of some cups package.
>
> Celejar answered the question in the first post. It's very simple:
> imagemagick can not be removed because cups-filters depends on it.

Okay, but why do packages depend on other packages that declare that
they are dummies and can be safely removed? Is this a bug in the
dummy package' description, or in the package that has the dependency,
or just unclear / misleading terminology?

Celejar