Re: FOLLOWUP Re: LXDE panel disappeared

On 10/21/2017 10:46 AM, Patrick Bartek wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Oct 2017 09:28:00 -0700 Patrick Bartek <nemommxiv@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 20 Oct 2017 19:31:14 +0900 A_Man_Without_Clue
>> <love.chaser@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I just tried other newly installed Stretch. Same problem. I guess
>>> this is Debian Stretch specific problem.
>>
>> Have you checked LXDE's site for this problem or posted a query about
>> it to their mailing list, etc?
>>
>> I've been testing Stretch 64-bit in VirtualBox, but only with Openbox,
>> LXDE's default window manager, that is, no desktop environment
>> installed, and I don't experience this problem.
>>
>> Check in your user home directory for .config/lxpanel/default/panels
>> and see what's listed.
>>
>> FYI:  I'm using sysvinit as init for this test install, but have not
>> removed any systemd stuff.  Could make a difference.  Who knows?

> After adding an lxpanel in addition to the default one I already had,
> configured it, added applets, etc, rebooted, all worked fine.
> However, when I deleted the added panel, it along with the default one
> vanished. But when I "exited" Openbox to a terminal and ran
> startx, Openbox along with the default panel came back.  However, since
> I only run Openbox and not a desktop, to have lxpanel start when
> Openbox does, I must run 'lxpanel &' it in a file 'autostart'
> in .conf/openbox/ in my home directory.  Maybe, you doing the same
> thing might be a fix for your problem.

OK, I did experiment something.

What I did was I copied /.config/lxpanel/LXDE/panels from working Jessie
machine to Stretch.

AND the result was success!

The one in Wheezy has panel and left files under "panels" but on
Stretch, there is only "panel" file.

For some reason LXDE fails to create these panel files correctly and
messes up. I don't know the mechanism of this process but something is
not working right.