Re: LXDE panel disappeared

On 10/15/17, A_Man_Without_Clue <love.chaser@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/15/2017 06:57 PM, A_Man_Without_Clue wrote:
>> On 10/15/2017 08:32 AM, A_Man_Without_Clue wrote:
>>>
>>> I have been running Debian Stretch with LXDE for about 1 week.
>>>
>>> I turned on the PC this morning and and found out that the main LXDE
>>> panel at bottom (default panel) is gone.
>>>
>>> I had added additional panel at the side with few icons and also had
>>> changed the back ground image. I  didn't do anything fancy other than
>>> that.
>>>
>>> The newly added panel was displayed but was missing some icons, only
>>> showing default desktop PC looking icons. I rebooted to PC to see if it
>>> would make differences. All icons on the newly added panel came back but
>>> the bottom menu panel is still missing.
>>>
>>> What went wrong and why?
>>> How can I get the bottom panel?
>>

>> I gave up.
>>
>> What I did was I deleted my account and added myself again.
>>
>> But it's good to know how to restore the default settings if there is
>> the way.
>

> I don't believe this....
>
> Same thing happened again to newly created account....
> I don't know what caused this. I did same thing. Added new side panel,
> and changed background image....
>
> Clueless now.

The only thing I can think of is... did you try running your cursor
(mouse pointer) all the way off the screen in the area where that
panel usually sits? That would rule out that it's somehow being
toggled into that hide-n-seek feature that those have..

A quick search looking for possible keyboard shortcuts (to hide and
show our panels) reminded me that you could try ALT+F1 to see if that
brings up your Applications menu or at least something similar.
Disclaimer is that might not be an LXDE shortcut, but it *is* one for
XFCE4. I like to think something nice and helpful like that is
*universal*. :)

If ALT+F1 works, it would tell you if your panel is still there or
not, anyway. If that doesn't work, maybe another Internet search will
reveal a keyboard key combination special to LXDE that you could try..

You could also try "ps aux | grep panel" and/or "ps aux | grep
lxpanel", too. That might help show if the panel is even active. As an
example for mine just now, "grep panel" brought up "xfce4-panel". If
anyone knows a different grep [variable/value] would instead be
reflected for LXDE's panel(s) in that output, please help share..

I had an experience like this a long time ago, but can't remember
what. I do remember fighting it for a very frustrated extended period
of time, though. If that experience comes back to mind, I'll come back
and add to this...

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey