Re: pm-utils by default on Xfce for suspend/hibernate

I have PC with Debian 9 "stretch" x86_64 + Xfce and I never needed to have pm-utils installed, but hibernation\suspend feature works normally through xfce4 GUI once I set up all prerequisites for hibernation to work (such as at least working swap and initramfs resume variable). I also removed packages such as "uswsusp", "hibernate". I have used them previously, but now they are unnecessary for hibernation to work on my computer.

How you start Xfce DE and did you installed "xfce4-power-manager" package?
You've said hibernation works when you trigger it manually, so check if hibernation works via systemd:
    $ systemctl hibernate