Re: non-free firmware not found despite unofficial CD

On 10/08/2017 05:29 PM, David Wright wrote:
On Sun 08 Oct 2017 at 13:26:54 (-0700), Jimmy Johnson wrote:
On 10/08/2017 07:07 AM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Jimmy Johnson wrote:

You will need to download the depends too and
then cd to the directory that holds the files
and #dpkg -i (the package name) to install.

OK. How should the depends be organized? I.e.,
the dir structure?

You should only need to install the one package and dpkg will pull
in the depends and is why they need to be in the same directory.

I've never seen dpkg pull in anything, and you can also give it
paths rather than filenames, ie
     # dpkg -i /anywhere/foo.deb
     it replies bar is not installed
     # dpkg -i /anywhere/foo.deb /somewhere/else/bar.deb
     and so on,
the poor man's dependency resolver.

Is there some kind of man page or something to explain what foo.deb is and or bar.deb is, because in my 20+ years googling or other ways I don't understand. If not I've been doing fine without knowing. I will say I probably got gdebi and dpkg -i mixed up, but I do know that #dpkg -i (package name) will install the package if you cd to the directory where the package is. But you are probably right, I just don't know what you're saying. To me bar is someplace where people go to talk about foo, I just don't go there so I'm not clear on what they are talking about, cause I don't go to bar, but give me a few shots of tequila and then you can take me to bar where I could probably talk your head off about foo and we can pretend we understand each other.
--
Jimmy Johnson

Debian Sid/Testing - KDE Plasma 5.10.5 - Intel i7-3540M - EXT4 at sda8
Registered Linux User #380263