Re: What happen if I start following stable after upgrading to unstable?

On Sun, Oct 08, 2017 at 06:30:03AM +0330, Mostafa Shahverdy wrote:
> > Yes. I am assuming you made a new stable installation, you have not
> > just changed the repository from unstable to stable. That will most
> > definitely not work.
> >
> > Are you asking why only a few packages are upgraded, compared to
> > unstable?
> >
> > Stable should not need many upgrades. In unstable, package versions are
> > frequently upgraded, most of the software has bugs, and sometimes the
> > entire architecture of a linked group of programs is changed.
> >
> > In general, software versions in stable do not change, except for web
> > browsers and anti-virus software. Security bugs are fixed, though not
> > normally functional bugs. Debian stable is often used in servers, where
> > a change of behaviour due to a bug being fixed may cause worse problems
> > than the bug did.
> >
> > The whole purpose of stable is to be an unchanging platform, as far as
> > is possible. That means that the software versions are largely frozen
> > months before release, and will never change. If you need fairly
> > up-to-date software all the time, then stable is not the correct
> > distribution to use, either testing or unstable are more appropriate.
> >
> I know that my packages are ahead at the moment, but what about the
> future?  My question is can I get updates in the future? For example the time
> that the `buster` becomes stable, can I securely update/upgrade?
> This is my personal PC.
> --
> Regards,
> Mostafa Shahverdy <http://www.mostafa.info/pgp>

Why not just use Buster? What your saying will probably work, but in the
meantime you'll have a broken insecure system.

https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian#Don.27t_make_a_FrankenDebian

Buster probably wont become stable until about 2019.

--
Daniel Keast,
Hatherleigh, UK