Re: 9.1.0 : netinst : installs well, but useless after firstboot

On Fri 06 Oct 2017 at 21:39:28 -0500, David Wright wrote:

> On Fri 06 Oct 2017 at 23:49:01 (+0100), Brian wrote:

> > > Sorry to interrupt here.
> > > In case of no NM and the /e/n/i issues might I suggest systemd-networkd?
> > > It is really reliable in bringing up any connection.
> >
> > You certainly can suggest it. I am sure it would fit the bill; as would
> > connman. (The Debian approach of leaving a user with no connectivity
> > after an installation which requires it must be a first in Linux, so
> > anything which restores connectivity cannot be bad).
>
> Another question to be posed by the debian-installer?

My recollection is of a short disscussion along those lines. But nothing
came of it.

Establishing connectivity on a machine with no other OS available can be
done with ifupdown and the stanza deleted by the installation restored.
Someone has a sense of humour.

> > > There is a fairly good example how to do it here:
> > > https://sunweavers.net/blog/node/34
> > >
> > > It is definitely a better setup than /e/n/i.
> >
> > Does it handle wireless roaming? ifupdown + wpa_supplicant does.
>
> What does one do when staying in, say, a new hotel?

Networks are managed by a file in /etc/wpa_supplicant. The file can be
edited by hand or a network added with wpagui,

--
Brian.