Re: Free TCP/IP port numbers?

On Sunday 01 October 2017 10:55:33 tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 01, 2017 at 10:45:53AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Sunday 01 October 2017 10:11:48 tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> > > On Sun, Oct 01, 2017 at 09:48:16AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > >
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > [swahili]
> > >
> > > Let me respond in a similarly snarky way, will you?
> > >
> > > This option says "assume a binary file doesn't match in the first
> > > place. Don't even check".
> >
> > Izzat what that says?  Why then does it not just say so?
>
> Please go back and digest the quote I snipped for you (for the long
> option). Here a more focused snipped from that:
>
>    --binary-files=TYPE
>           If the first few bytes of a file indicate that the file
>           contains binary data [...] By default, TYPE is binary,
>           and grep normally outputs either a one-line message saying
>           that a binary file matches [...]
>           If TYPE is without-match, grep assumes that a binary file
>           does not match [...]

And that, while lots more typing, seems to duplicate the -I option.

> My English module masters this (and it is pretty old too. Moreover, it
> was a cheap second-hand one, labelled "for foreigners" ;-)

Chuckle... It is working very well, too. And I thank you for taking the
trouble to learn a language you didn't often hear growing up. Had I
stayed in school, the language class choices then were Latin and French.
But TBT, I didn't stick around, I had an allergy problem which turned
out to be milk when it was finally found, and my algebra teacher was
more interested in off-color standup comedy than in teaching algebra, so
in 1948 there was a job market for tv repairmen, so I quit and went to
work. Fixing these new-fangled things they called tv sets.  I was 14. So
I was a geek before the word was invented. :) But now I'm an just old
geezer that can regale you with stories about some of the BTDT's I've
done. :)  And I've learned something useful today, thanks to you and
Reco.

> Hey, the doc even contains the trigger phrase "binary file matches",
> which is how I found the spot in the docs.
>
> > My english reading module is fine.  Out of date maybe, but hey, so
> > is the 60 lb Websters Dictionary we had in school in about 1942.
> > They also taught phonics back then, something the manpage writer may
> > not have taken since they quit teaching it in 1946 or so.
> >
> :-)
>
> Cheers
> -- t

Cheers, Gene Heskett