Re: Free TCP/IP port numbers?

On Saturday 30 September 2017 22:28:45 Alexander V. Makartsev wrote:

> Ok, I will not waste my time to argue over obvious things.
> You won't get ports more "default" than from this list. Protocols,
> ports and service names are registered for a reason.
> Ex: If you install MySQL server it will be configured to listen on
> port 3306\tcp by default on any OS, be it Debian, RHEL, or Windows.

Thats a bit of a stiff attitude.  If his network is an isolated private
network, there isn't any port police going to come and rip it up or
prosecute for reconfiguring that install to use any of the ports that
aren't in the services list. In fact I'd recommend that none of them run
as root on a day to day basis.

> On 01.10.2017 06:40, Victor Porton wrote:
> > Alexander V. Makartsev wrote:
> >> There is official list of all registered port numbers:
> >> https://www.iana.org/assignments/service-names-port-numbers/service
> >>-names-port-numbers.txt
> >>
> >> You can choose any port that is not in the list, to be sure they
> >> won't clash.
> >
> > The list of port numbers you pointed to me is a subset (or at least
> > not a superset) of the full list used by Debian packages.
> >
> > Assuring that my port is not in this IANA list is not enough to
> > ensure that my port number will not clash with a port number used by
> > a Debian package (by default).
> >
> > So your answer to my question is wrong.

In which case debian should publish the unlisted ports they do use, if
for no other reason than to "stake a claim".

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)