Re: disk partitioners vs disk with 2048 byte phusical sectors

On Wednesday 27 September 2017 12:03:12 Thomas Schmitt wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Gene Heskett's parted wrote:
> > Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
>
> Wasn't that 2048 bytes per physical sector, last time ?

yes, thats the figures quote elsewhere here, which came from the
discovery stanza in dmesg when I plugged it into a usb3 port on the
rock64.  Thats a direct copy/paste from the rock64's screen.

One of the reasons I'm getting old & grey, can't be the almost 83
years. ;-)

> > Start? 163,840B
> > End? 167,772,160B
> > Error: The maximum head value is 254.
> > WTH? I didn't tell it heads,
>
> I think it takes the commas for a CHS addrss and the "772" for heads.

I don't recall that from the manpage, must need to up the marigold dose
which helps preserve a diabetics eyesight.

> See in
>   https://www.gnu.org/software/parted/manual/html_node/unit.html
> the example
>   (parted) unit chs print
>   Disk geometry for /dev/hda: 0,0,0 - 14946,225,62
>
> > So what sort of figures does it need to be happy?
>
> Without commas ?
>
> > (parted) mkpart primary fat32 8MiB 210MiB
> > Warning: The resulting partition is not properly aligned for best
> > performance.
>
> Show due human backbone and override the warning.
> It probably thinks of cylinders or maybe of the 32 MiB which fdisk
> reports as "optimal".
>
> > Looking at fdisks initial screen, it claims the physical sector is
> > 4096?
>
> That's what parted says above.
>
> > I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 33553920 bytes
>
> 32 MiB ? I wonder what kind of i/o that would be.
>
> 1 MiB as partition start is modern tradition and said to be ok
> for about everything.
>

> Have a nice day :)
>
> Thomas

Cheers, Gene Heskett