Re: disk partitioners vs disk with 2048 byte phusical sectors

Hi,

Gene Heskett's parted wrote:
> Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B

Wasn't that 2048 bytes per physical sector, last time ?

> Start? 163,840B
> End? 167,772,160B
> Error: The maximum head value is 254.
> WTH? I didn't tell it heads,

I think it takes the commas for a CHS addrss and the "772" for heads.

See in
  https://www.gnu.org/software/parted/manual/html_node/unit.html
the example
  (parted) unit chs print
  Disk geometry for /dev/hda: 0,0,0 - 14946,225,62

> So what sort of figures does it need to be happy?

Without commas ?

> (parted) mkpart primary fat32 8MiB 210MiB
> Warning: The resulting partition is not properly aligned for best
> performance.

Show due human backbone and override the warning.
It probably thinks of cylinders or maybe of the 32 MiB which fdisk
reports as "optimal".

> Looking at fdisks initial screen, it claims the physical sector is 4096?

That's what parted says above.

> I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 33553920 bytes

32 MiB ? I wonder what kind of i/o that would be.

1 MiB as partition start is modern tradition and said to be ok
for about everything.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas