Re: I already had wrote into here

Hi,

Gdsi wrote:
> Reminding: I may not mount usb-stick for copying a data (directories) into
> the usb-stick.
> Earlier this usb-stick held 'Deb-8..iso' file, and it mount/umoun exactly.

As long as the ISO is recognizable, a mounted /dev/sdb will be read-only,
because ISO 9660 is a read-only filesystem.
You can make the ISO unrecognizable by

  dd if=/dev/zero bs=2048 count=1 seek=16 of=/dev/sdb

Nevertheless, this will not make /dev/sdb mountable as writable filesystem.
You need a suitable partitioning and in the partition (or several partitions)
you need a writable filesystem (or several of them).

> root@debian:~# mount -v  /dev/sdb /mnt
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdb,
>       missing codepage or helper program, or other error

So the ISO is successfully defaced meanwhile.

Now you need to check the partitionining. Is it still like last week ?

Device        Start      End Sectors  Size Type
/dev/sdb1      2048  4196351 4194304    2G Linux filesystem
/dev/sdb2   4196352  8390655 4194304    2G Linux filesystem
/dev/sdb3   8390656 12584959 4194304    2G Linux filesystem
/dev/sdb4  12584960 15431304 2846345  1.4G Linux filesystem

If so:
   Is it intentional that you have 4 distinct filesystems ?
   If yes:
      Check whether /dev/sdb1 already has a mountable filesystem:
        mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt
      If yes:
         Try whether this filesystem suits your needs:
         Long filenames, distinction between upper and lower case, ...
      If not mountable:
         Then you need to create a filesystem partition /dev/sdb1.
   If not:
      Then you need to change the partitioning to what you want.
      For example one large partition from block 2048 to 15431304.
      Then you need to create a filesystem in the newly defined partition.

/sbin/fdisk can do deletion and creation of partitions. Take care not
to re-partition the wrong device.

If a new filesystem is needed, then program /sbin/mkfs may be used.
Important is to choose a suitable type. If MS-Windows shall be able to
read the files, then FAT on a small partition might be useful.
Else consider type "ext2".

If i google "linux make partition" i get valid advice about fdisk usage.
>From "linux make partition gui" i get to "Gnome Disk Utility",
"KDE Partition Manager", "GParted", and others.

The same way "linux make filesystem" and "linux make filesystem gui"
lead to mkfs examples and again to the GUI partitioning and formatting
tools above.

In any case, /dev/sdb1, not /dev/sdb is the device to mount.

> Again I used a zoo of commands (cat, mv, cp, mkdir, [...]
> any (/sdb, /sdb1, /sdb2,..., /mnt, /media..) had been tried.

Be cautious with several of the possible combinations.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas