Re: Restore backup to KVM

On 22/09/17 21:38, Reco wrote:
2) Your backup is made by rsync(1) or tar(1).

Make yourself a file representing virtual machine disk.
Apply parted/fdisk/whatever to make appropriate number of partitions
inside it. Create filesystems.
Mount these somewhere, invoke rsync(1)/tar(1) as needed.

Ok, I've done all these steps.

Fix extended file attributes, capability labels, SELinux labels if any
etc. By hand, that is.

This is hard, since I'm unaware of what files have extended attributes. For instance, I've just found out that /media/solitone has an ACL, but I would need to extract the information for all files involved in a list and back it up, in order to restore it later on manually.

Fix boot/grub/grub.cfg or whatever configuration file of bootloader
you're using.

I don't know how to do this. I have to admit I never really understand GRUB. I've always relied on the configuration steps that debian automatically performs. Have you got a simple document that could guide me?

Thanks!