Re: Restore backup to KVM

On 22/09/17 08:08, Reco wrote:
Execute this on your source system.

grep MODULES /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf

If it says MODULES=most then you're in luck as it means your initrd
contains all kernel modules for all kinds of hardware.
And restoring from backup into QEMU-KVM means you only need to
reconfigure the bootloader.

Is there a way to configure KVM so that it resembles my bare
metal, and the test is significant?

That's highly unlikely. On x86-64 there are two QEMU device models
worthy of speaking, and that's Intel i440FX and Intel Q35 motherboards.
Chances are you have different hardware.

So, it *will* have different NIC, Video adapter *and* most importantly,
IDE/SATA/SCSI controller.

Using Debian and MODULES=most you have a luxury of not to think about
it.

Ok, I see, and it seems I'm in luck:

~$ grep MODULES /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf
# MODULES: [ most | netboot | dep | list ]
MODULES=most

But now I don't know what to do next, since:

I would install a basic debian system in KVM, and then overwrite it
with my backed up files. Is this approach correct?

No. Some (but not all) configuration files would differ. Some (but not
all) packages would differ.