Restore backup to KVM

It's time to test my backups. Apart from user files, I also back up system files, except for the following directories that are excluded: /dev, /lost+found, /media, /mnt, /proc, /run, /sys, /tmp.

I would try and restore them to a virtual machine (KVM). Would it be possible? Is there a way to configure KVM so that it resembles my bare metal, and the test is significant? I would install a basic debian system in KVM, and then overwrite it with my backed up files. Is this approach correct?

Cheers!