A custom installer - was [Installing the installer]

On 09/19/2017 08:56 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:
On 09/14/2017 09:51 AM, Thomas Schmitt wrote:

Richard Owlett wrote:
I wish to "install" to an arbitrary ext2/ext4 partition in such
a manner
that:
  1. Grub2 will recognize it as a legit OS.

Why not install - without quotes - Debian to as few partitions
as possible ?

My goal is NOT a "general purpose GNU/Linux".
My goal IS a "thingy/dodad/whatsit" which can perform a single task.
That task would be indistinguishable, to a human at a terminal, from a standard installer residing on a CD/DVD. It will install Debian to another location, be it device or partition.

Evidently something similar to my goals existed in the early work on what became the current installer. Searching for pages describing how the boot process worked I found several pages by Joey Hess. Initially I found "os-prober" <https://joeyh.name/code/os-prober/> and later "Joey Hess" <http://joeyh.name/> -> <http://joeyh.name/code/> {the links under "Past projects"}

There are also useful links in the Debian Wiki, including:
BootProcess
	<https://wiki.debian.org/BootProcess>
CategoryBootProcess
	<https://wiki.debian.org/CategoryBootProcess>
SystemBootProcess
	<https://wiki.debian.org/SystemBootProcess>
Title Search: "boot process"
	<https://wiki.debian.org/DebianDesktop?action=fullsearch&context=180&value=boot+process&titlesearch=Titles>

I currently have about two dozen links a single reference whose target audience was people with goals/questions similar to mine.

At least I now know what I want is possible.