Re: Fwd: Stretch and i3-7300T

On 09/23/2017 05:04 AM, Felix Natter wrote:
hi Jimmy,

I am writing you because you are running the same old(!)  Ubuntu 12.04
LTS release for which support has run out as my father's computer does.

What strategy do you have to update this?
I think the best way is to update to Ubuntu 14.04 LTS "Trusty Tahr" by
(supported until April 2019):

- changing "precise" to "trusty" in sources.list
- apt-get update
- apt-get upgrade
- apt-get dist-upgrade

What do you think?
(I am a Debian user, and don't know that much about Ubuntu)

Thanks and Best Regards,
Felix

Hi Felix, I run 12.04 + 14.04 + 16.04 and Stretch + Buster + Sid/Testing too and other systems too like Wheezy, Jessie, 17.04 and more. Maybe your Father knows what I know and that is: Don't listen to the hype, 12.04 is still supported, Ubuntu says by subscription but you can ride the subscription train for free if you have the sources. If he's using KDE 4.8.5, it's one of the best for looks and feel and most of the bugs have been fixed too.

I'm on list so please don't send me personal email.

Thanks,
--
Jimmy Johnson

Ubuntu 14.04 LTS - KDE 4.13.2 - AMD A8-7600 - EXT4 at sda1
Registered Linux User #380263