Re: A custom installer - was [Installing the installer]

On 09/23/2017 10:43 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:
On 09/19/2017 08:56 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:

[snip]

My goal is NOT a "general purpose GNU/Linux".
My goal IS a "thingy/dodad/whatsit" which can perform a single task.
That task would be indistinguishable, to a human at a terminal, from a
standard installer residing on a CD/DVD. It will install Debian to
another location, be it device or partition.

[snip]

There are also useful links in the Debian Wiki, including:
BootProcess
    <https://wiki.debian.org/BootProcess>
CategoryBootProcess
    <https://wiki.debian.org/CategoryBootProcess>
SystemBootProcess
    <https://wiki.debian.org/SystemBootProcess>
Title Search: "boot process"
    <https://wiki.debian.org/DebianDesktop?action=fullsearch&context=180&value=boot+process&titlesearch=Titles>

Over on debian-boot@lists.debian.org I asked a related question. Some of the links were:
https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-linuxboot/
   Inside the Linux boot process -- a guided tour from the MBR
   to 1st user-space application
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_startup_process
   The multi-stage initialization process performed during booting
   a Linux installation.
http://wiki.osdev.org/System_Initialization_%28x86%29
   System Initialization (x86) -- the traditional BIOS-based system
   initialization process.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_boot_process
   To boot Linux, a boot loader must be installed. The boot loader
   being responsible for loading the kernel and initial ramdisk before
   initiating the boot process.

They will do nicely to update my 1970's preconceptions - think paper tape and PDP11's prior to introduction of the RX01/RX02 floppies and later exposure to an 8085 based embedded system. Now {perhaps ;} my questions will be phrased so that they make sense to those used to current technology.