Re: making me automaticly logged in?

On Monday 18 September 2017 11:39:26 Tixy wrote:

> On Mon, 2017-09-18 at 11:13 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> [...]
>
> > My instant problem, a disappearing usb camera, could also be solved
> > I think, by power cycling the usb port its plugged into, as it will
> > re-appear after a powerdown reboot, but I do not know how to do that
> > short of a powerdown reset.  If there is such an ability the user,
> > or a sudo can do, that would also be helpfull.
>
> I don't know if this is useful, but the method I found for resetting a
> USB device was to unbind then rebind it with something like:
>
> echo '3-1.4' >/sys/bus/usb/drivers/usb/unbind
> echo '3-1.4' >/sys/bus/usb/drivers/usb/bind
>
> Where '3-1.4' is the endpoint name for the device found by looking in
> the kernel log. E.g. for this example I ran the 'dmesg' command and
> looked for my web camera and found these entries:
>
> usb 3-1.4: new high-speed USB device number 3 using ehci-pci
> usb 3-1.4: New USB device found, idVendor=2232, idProduct=1018
> usb 3-1.4: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
> usb 3-1.4: Product: WebCam SC-13HDL11431N
>
> I don't know if this will help with your particular problem.

Wheezy apparently isn't organized in quite that manner. So the best I
could do, even as root, was elicit no permissions messages.

Going out to the machine, I found a middle of the night power failure had
rebooted it, but this time the networking was working normally while it
was waiting for me to login.

Firing up linuxcnc, the camera was there, but the video went away as I
was expanding the size of the linuxcnc window.  Stop and restart
linuxcnc, and it works until I expand the window vertically enough to
start seeing the video chains controls.  Shut down and go get a
different camera & plug it in, works, but frame rate is only about 7 fps
and the colors are off some, its a much older endoscope  camera.  Start
to expand the window enough to start seeing the controls, and that
camera stops delivering video.  Restart LCNC again, but click on the
full screen icon, works, back to small window, works. I switch it
several times, works everytime, back to small window and drag it to
upper left of screen, dies.  But now neither has gone away in the lsusb
list.

There ought to be an excedrin headache number, but I'm also the head cook
around here.  Wife has broken hip, so I'm doing it all.

Thanks for reading. If you've an idea, I'll be back after dinner.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)