Re: sudo slow on DNS lookup, with invalid resolv.conf entries

	Hi.

On Mon, Sep 18, 2017 at 08:50:36AM +0200, deloptes wrote:
> Gene Heskett wrote:
>
> > 127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
>
> Sorry but I did not understand if the problem is there or if the problem is
> that it is not there?

Long story short, OP has a misbehaving Debian stretch installation with
the hostname (as in - /proc/sys/kernel/hostname) set to
'localhost.localdomain'.
/etc/hosts lacks such entry.
/etc/resolv.conf points to an absent DNS.

The result is - every execution of sudo has an added 30-second execution
time 'bonus'.

> I guess this is put there at time of installation. I'll check few virtual
> machines later to see how it was written.

If the user chooses conventional hostname (even 'debian') during the
installation - sure, they should put a record in /etc/hosts. Unsure
about stretch, but they did so since etch.

The question is - since 'localhost.localdomain' is special, what happens
if such hostname is chosen during the installation?

> IMO if you have working resolver it shouldn't matter much.

Please read this thread's subject one more time. Last three words
especially.

Reco