Re: unable to determine which package my bug report should be filed against - please advise.

On Thu, 07 Sep 2017, DM wrote:
> I am not sure exactly what may be the cause of the issue, and I am
> reaching out to you for help to identify what part of Debain might be
> causing this issue.

This sounds like your monitor might not be returning the correct EDID or
Debian isn't handling it appropriately.

> The issue: I am using a second monitor (external monitor connected via
> a displayport - LG 29UM57-P). External monitor connected to my laptop
> - Lenovo T420. External monitor does not display video at the desired
> resolution and the aspect ratio.
>
> Displayed resolution - 1920 x 1080
> Displayed aspect ratio - 16:9
>
> Expected resolution - 2560 x 1080
> Expected ratio - 21:9
>
> This same exact issue exist on my other machine Lenovo X230 with
> external monitor of exact same model.

These machines all use the intel graphics driver, so you should file
this bug against the xserver-xorg-video-intel package. [You can verify
that by checking /var/log/Xorg.0.log and seeing if you see lots of
"intel(0)" lines there.]

> Previous version of Debian 8 (jessie) worked with out any issue with
> the monitor at the correct and expected resolution and the aspect
> ratio.
>
> After installing a fresh version of Debian 9 (Stretch), I am unable to
> use the external monitor at its maximum resolution. Debian 9 (Stretch)
> was a full installation from scratch (not an upgrade).

When you file the bug, please also include the output of

xrandr --verbose;

--
Don Armstrong                      https://www.donarmstrong.com

They say when you embark on a journey