Re: failure of cheese with a Microsoft LifeCam NX-6000

On 9/6/17, Reco <recoverym4n@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 05, 2017 at 08:46:13PM -0700, peter@easthope.ca wrote:
>> Any insights about these messages when cheese fails?
>
> Sure.
>
>> guest@imager:~$ cheese
>>
>> (cheese:1572): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: cheese.css:7:35:
>>   The style property GtkScrollbar:min-slider-length is deprecated and
>>   shouldn't be used anymore. It will be removed in a future version
>
> Is not a problem per se. Just a 'gentle' reminder from GNOME developers
> that that particular property in your GTK theme would be removed soon™.
>
> So, you may get 'cheese' program that looks funny if you manage to
> upgrade your GTK without upgrading your current theme, but that's it.
>

>> (cheese:1572): cheese-WARNING **: Device '/dev/video0' cannot capture
>>   in the specified format: gstv4l2object.c(3583):
>>   gst_v4l2_object_set_format_full ():
>>
>> /GstCameraBin:camerabin/GstWrapperCameraBinSrc:camera_source/GstBin:bin28/GstV4l2Src:v4l2src1:
>> Tried to capture in BGR3, but device returned format MPEG
>
> That's the problem. 'cheese' wants BGR3 format whatever that may be.
> Camera wants to produce MPEG. Unless you rewrite an appropriate kernel
> module (or flip some mysterious switch in it if there's any) that's
> unlikely to change.
>
> This is there I'd say 'screw it' and use 'mpv' or 'ffmpeg' instead of
> 'cheese', but YMMV.
>
> Because IMO if you want your media to be decoded or encoded regardless
> of whatever it is - you use ffmpeg, not a gstreamer.
>

>> (cheese:1572): Cogl-WARNING **: driver/gl/cogl-pipeline-opengl.c:932:
>> GL error (1280): Invalid enumeration value
>
> Tied to a previous error. Presumably 'cheese' tries to show you what's
> on camera by using OpenGL but it cannot do so as it cannot convince a
> camera to show anything. Solve the previous error that this one will
> solve itself.

Hey, cool. I think I actually almost came close to what you said a
couple times, lol. You just write a little more succinctly than I do,
just like Brian. :D

I think I heard that about ffmpeg by itself, but that didn't "stick"
until this time. I thought it was just more "reference", more of a
library sitting in waiting to be drawn from in the background.

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* runs with duct tape *