Re: failure of cheese with a Microsoft LifeCam NX-6000

	Hi.

On Tue, Sep 05, 2017 at 08:46:13PM -0700, peter@easthope.ca wrote:
> Any insights about these messages when cheese fails?

Sure.

> guest@imager:~$ cheese
>
> (cheese:1572): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: cheese.css:7:35:
>   The style property GtkScrollbar:min-slider-length is deprecated and
>   shouldn't be used anymore. It will be removed in a future version

Is not a problem per se. Just a 'gentle' reminder from GNOME developers
that that particular property in your GTK theme would be removed soon™.

So, you may get 'cheese' program that looks funny if you manage to
upgrade your GTK without upgrading your current theme, but that's it.

> (cheese:1572): cheese-WARNING **: Device '/dev/video0' cannot capture
>   in the specified format: gstv4l2object.c(3583):
>   gst_v4l2_object_set_format_full ():
>   /GstCameraBin:camerabin/GstWrapperCameraBinSrc:camera_source/GstBin:bin28/GstV4l2Src:v4l2src1:
> Tried to capture in BGR3, but device returned format MPEG

That's the problem. 'cheese' wants BGR3 format whatever that may be.
Camera wants to produce MPEG. Unless you rewrite an appropriate kernel
module (or flip some mysterious switch in it if there's any) that's
unlikely to change.

This is there I'd say 'screw it' and use 'mpv' or 'ffmpeg' instead of
'cheese', but YMMV.

Because IMO if you want your media to be decoded or encoded regardless
of whatever it is - you use ffmpeg, not a gstreamer.

> (cheese:1572): Cogl-WARNING **: driver/gl/cogl-pipeline-opengl.c:932:
> GL error (1280): Invalid enumeration value

Tied to a previous error. Presumably 'cheese' tries to show you what's
on camera by using OpenGL but it cannot do so as it cannot convince a
camera to show anything. Solve the previous error that this one will
solve itself.

Reco