Re: Recommended editor for novice programmers?

emacs has succession arranged, vim does not. If the creator of vim gets struck by lightning and has his brains fried, no succession exists to continue support of vim in the event of his incapacity. Succession of emacs was passed along to three who are known by r.m.s. willing and able to handle that job already. Now for my offering, has ne and e4 been considered yet? The e4 editor may be named e3, but I think by now it's e4. I don't know the status of elvis succession but that may be a possibility for vim users if it's been handled by now.

On Sun, 3 Sep 2017, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:

Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2017 11:48:24
From: rhkramer@gmail.com
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Recommended editor for novice programmers?

On Sunday, September 03, 2017 11:30:09 AM Larry Dighera wrote:
On Sat, 2 Sep 2017 20:46:33 -0400, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
I do occasionally use vi (when
I'm stuck with no other editor), but I wouldn't wish either on a novice
programmer.  Further, I don't think they have any advantage over a good
GUI editor with features like a scripting language, keyboard macros,
outlining / folding, syntax highlighting, and such.

With regard to the missing features being lamented above:
https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-vim-script-1/index.html
http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2009/01/vi-and-vim-macro-tutorial-how-to-record
-and-play/ https://majutsushi.github.io/tagbar/

For syntax highlighting, simply write: "Esc:syntax on" to activate the
builtin.

Hmm, I guess I need to clarify--I wasn't lamenting or trying to imply any
missing features in vi/vim or Emacs, but rather trying to respond to others
who seemed to believe such features didn't exist in many GUI editors.