Re: Recommended editor for novice programmers?

On 9/2/17, Tom Browder <tom.browder@gmail.com> wrote:
> My Linux user group is setting up one desktop computer and one laptop
> computer for lending to our local library as an educational resource for
> folks who want to explore what Linux is all about.  We are using Debian 9
> for now.
>
> I am open to any suggestions for standard packages we should add. I have
> already installed gcc and friends as well as Scilab, R, Perl 6, and some
> other stuff, including emacs.
>
> I would especially appreciate other ideas for programming editors for
> novice programmers.

I understand that you're talking about programming, but I also like to
show people that there are fully functional packages such as video
editors (e.g. OpenShot) and image manipulators (e.g. GIMP GNU Image
Manipulation Program). I like to do that to show that it's a one-stop
shopping deal, that you don't have to flip back and forth depending on
what activity a user has in mind.

My memory is that GNOME and KDE both appear to possibly have another
package or two that show that things can be extensively fun,
"colorful", challenging (for lack of better descriptive words just
this second)..

Gwenview from maybe five years ago was coming to mind there. I just
tested installing it before posting this. It's only 35MB these days.

That's average for my installs. I remember Gwenview being more like
100 or so while dragging along things I just did NOT want to install.
Either I already have its dependencies installed these days, or it has
become more of a stand on its own kind of package. :)

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* runs with duct tape *