Re: Recommended editor for novice programmers?

On Saturday, September 02, 2017 02:39:43 PM Cindy-Sue Causey wrote:
> On 9/2/17, Tom Browder <tom.browder@gmail.com> wrote:
> > My Linux user group is setting up one desktop computer and one laptop
> > computer for lending to our local library as an educational resource for
> > folks who want to explore what Linux is all about.  We are using Debian 9
> > for now.
> >
> > I am open to any suggestions for standard packages we should add. I have
> > already installed gcc and friends as well as Scilab, R, Perl 6, and some
> > other stuff, including emacs.
> >
> > I would especially appreciate other ideas for programming editors for
> > novice programmers.
>
> I understand that you're talking about programming, but I also like to
> show people that there are fully functional packages such as video
> editors (e.g. OpenShot) and image manipulators (e.g. GIMP GNU Image
> Manipulation Program). I like to do that to show that it's a one-stop
> shopping deal, that you don't have to flip back and forth depending on
> what activity a user has in mind.

+1, and I'll go a step or two further:

It wasn't clear from the original post that the audience is programmers, thus,
I'd want to show potential users that LInux has many of the same tools and
capabilities as those other OSs.

Further, I would make sure to choose several editors, including some that are
somewhat windows like--I'd include:

   * at least one from the family of editors powered by Scintilla, perhaps
Geany and Scite
   * kate (from KDE) and maybe something equivalent from GNOME (I essentially
have never used GNOME)
   * nedit

Oh, and maybe to give one of the simplest editors that can be used as root
without having to get access to an X display: "editor"