Re: Virtualbox for stretch and buster not in repos

The Wanderer <wanderer@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> On 2017-08-11 at 07:18, Sven Hartge wrote:
>> Robert Menes <viewtiful.icchan@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Is there a reason why virtualbox hasn't migrated into stretch or
>>> buster yet?
>>
>> Short Answer: Because of Oracle.
>>
>> Longer Answer:
>> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=794466

>> Testing or any stable release or stable-backports ever again.

> Today, I noticed that the virtualbox* packages are available in
> testing again (when they showed up to be upgraded as part of a routine
> dist-upgrade).

> Per the latest comment on that bug report, three days ago, it's been
> downgraded in severity so that these packages can be in testing until
> the situation can be re-evaluated at the time of the next release
> freeze.

> Whether this will actually be permitted to persist until then, or be
> reversed by people who disagree with the rationale, is an open
> question - but for the time being, this seems to be available again.

I think this depends entirely on the Release Managers and the Security
Team if they allow new upstream versions to fix security bugs instead
of backporting the fixes to the original version in a release.

Until now IIRC only Firefox and Chromium and MySQL (since remove and
replaced by MariaDB) had such an exception.

Time will tell if the same is granted to Virtualbox.

Grüße,
S°

--
Sigmentation fault. Core dumped.