Re: Question to new network device names

On Fri 25 Aug 2017 at 09:22:56 (-0400), Dan Ritter wrote:

> > > I can't parse ↑ this line. Are you sure your resolver can?
> > > Why does it contain a comma? Are "host" and "dns" domain names?
> >
> > From man resolv.conf:
> >
> > > search Search list for host-name lookup.
> >               The  search  list  is  normally determined from the local domain name; by default, it contains only the local domain
> >               name.  This may be changed by listing the desired domain search path following the search  keyword  with  spaces  or
> >               tabs  separating  the names.
> >
> > So I have it wrong with my comma, but its been working for about 20 years that way. I'll fix it for S&G. To continue
>
> That search line makes the default domains to be searched
> ".host" and ".dns". Is that what you want?
>
> I suspect what you actually want is in /etc/nsswitch.conf:

…which is in the previous line to the quotation above, so this
analogous aside has hopefully closed on a circle.

> hosts:          files dns
>
> which means "look at /etc/hosts first, then check DNS".
>
> This is the default, by the way, and has been for at least
> a decade. The most likely override to it is using an alternate
> name resolution protocol like Samba's winbind or such.

…and the longer version that I quoted,

    hosts: files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns mdns4

indicates that I have libnss-mdns installed, related to avahi,
just in case someone comments.

Cheers,
David.