Re: Question to new network device names

On Thursday 24 August 2017 22:15:53 David Wright wrote:

> On Thu 24 Aug 2017 at 20:58:18 (-0400), Gene Heskett wrote:
> > >
> > > It used to be zero.
> > >
> > > We are currently in the phase of history where this statement is
> > > true. NICs are both ubiquitous and cheap, yet devices tend to
> > > come with one (only an ethernet port or only a wifi radio) or
> > > two (one of each of those, or a wifi radio and a cell radio).
> > >
> > > Devices can add more, but they are always special cases: my
> > > Debian-running firewall has 5 ethernet ports. I occasionally
> > > add a USB ethernet frob in order to isolate a device that I want
> > > to talk to directly. Special cases deserve special treatment.
> > >
> > > I expect the statement to remain true for the next ten years.
> > >
> > > Do you expect differently? If so, why?

> > > /etc/hosts still acts the way it always did -- put in an entry,
> > > it overrides DNS.
> >
> > That depends entirely on who wrote your /etc/resolv.conf and whether
> > or not your did a sudo chattr +i /etc/resolv.conf, immediately after
> > verifying that it works. (and of course that implies it is a real
> > file, not a softlink to something else.  With N-M in the mix and
> > active that is the only way to keep it from tearing down your
> > network configuration and leaving you empty files, and no network,
> > if it cannot find a dhcpd server)
>
> (We've heard about your problems concerning /etc/resolv.conf
> several times now.)
>
> I think the file that affects the priority of /etc/hosts is
> /etc/nsswitch.conf which typically contains a line like:
>
> hosts: files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns mdns4

But what has that to do with having the proper entry's
in /etc/resolv.conf?  Whose active lines are:

nameserver 192.168.71.1
search host,dns
domain coyote.den

I am willing to learn IF there is a simpler, even faster and more secure
way to do it than what I preach.  If those 3 criteria can be satisfied,
show me how.

That search line "hosts,dns" draws a fine line between my local network,
which is all in the /etc/hosts file, and the rest of this planet for
which I need a dns server. dd-wrt in my router relays the resolution
requests on to my ISP's assigned dns servers, and relays the results
back to whatever asked for it on my home network regardless of which
machine or program on that machine originated the request.

AFAIK, no other processing seems to be involved.  According to htop (root
session) no trace of named or any other dns helper can be found running
on any of the machines(5) running here ATM.  Pure, boiled it down to the
simplest way I know how, and it Just Works(TM). FWIW, denyhosts and
portsentry still work just fine.

Whats not to like?

> But that misses the point I was making, which requires one to know
> a fragment of Internet history. /etc/hosts started life as a file
> containing the address of every host on the network (then ARPANET).
> Simple, sufficient at the time, but obviously not going to stay
> the course.
>
> Similarly, /dev/sdX just about works well enough for simple, static
> systems but not for more complex, dynamic ones; eth0 likewise is
> showing its age for scaling and flexibility, particularly as the
> newer scheme adds functionality without removing the legacy.
>
> Cheers,
> David.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)