Re: Question to new network device names

On Friday 25 August 2017 01:27:47 David Wright wrote:

> On Fri 25 Aug 2017 at 00:54:11 (-0400), Gene Heskett wrote:

> > > (We've heard about your problems concerning /etc/resolv.conf
> > > several times now.)
> > >
> > > I think the file that affects the priority of /etc/hosts is
> > > /etc/nsswitch.conf which typically contains a line like:
> > >
> > > hosts: files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns mdns4
> >
> > But what has that to do with having the proper entry's
> > in /etc/resolv.conf?  Whose active lines are:
> >
> > nameserver 192.168.71.1
> > search host,dns
>
> I can't parse ↑ this line. Are you sure your resolver can?
> Why does it contain a comma? Are "host" and "dns" domain names?

From man resolv.conf:

> search Search list for host-name lookup.
              The  search  list  is  normally determined from the local domain name; by default, it contains only the local domain
              name.  This may be changed by listing the desired domain search path following the search  keyword  with  spaces  or
              tabs  separating  the names.

So I have it wrong with my comma, but its been working for about 20 years that way. I'll fix it for S&G. To continue

  Resolver queries having fewer than ndots dots (default is 1) in them will be attempted
              using each component of the search path in turn until a match is found.  For environments with  multiple  subdomains
              please  read  options  ndots:n  below  to  avoid man-in-the-middle attacks and unnecessary traffic for the root-dns-
              servers.  Note that this process may be slow and will generate a lot of network  traffic  if  the  servers  for  the
              listed domains are not local, and that queries will time out if no server is available for one of the domains.

              The search list is currently limited to six domains with a total of 256 characters.

> > domain coyote.den
> >
> > I am willing to learn IF there is a simpler, even faster and more
> > secure way to do it than what I preach.  If those 3 criteria can be
> > satisfied, show me how.
> >
> > That search line "hosts,dns" draws a fine line between my local
> > network, which is all in the /etc/hosts file, and the rest of this
> > planet for which I need a dns server. dd-wrt in my router relays the
> > resolution requests on to my ISP's assigned dns servers, and relays
> > the results back to whatever asked for it on my home network
> > regardless of which machine or program on that machine originated
> > the request.
> >
> > AFAIK, no other processing seems to be involved.  According to htop
> > (root session) no trace of named or any other dns helper can be
> > found running on any of the machines(5) running here ATM.  Pure,
> > boiled it down to the simplest way I know how, and it Just
> > Works(TM). FWIW, denyhosts and portsentry still work just fine.
> >
> > Whats not to like?
>
> Cheers,
> David.

Cheers, Gene Heskett