Re: Debian v9 it's a stretch

>> > Do you find checking for possible rootkits is useless, or you are just
>> > not happy how rkhunter performs that function?
>>
>> A well-documented case of rkhunter discovering a rootkit in the last
>> ten years (the 1000s of false positives do not count) would go a long
>> way to establishing its credence,
>>

> So, those in security/forensics who recommend use of rkhunter have just
> been silly? Interesting. But think that I'll use it anyway, just to be
> on the safe side. It does not hurt.

Ahh, that's what I love about FOSS software. Most bugs are 'closed' by
saying 'That package is garbage, don't use it'. It's like when you go
to a store and the salesperson says 'Buy this brand. That brand is
garbage.' I always wonder 'Well why are you selling it, then, if
nobody should buy it?!'

I encourage everyone to check out "How to Irritate People salesmen" on
your favourite community video streaming site. That's how I've found
FOSS support: "Best software in the world. No problems at all. But if
you find a problem, file a bug and we'll fix it." "Well I have filed a
bug, and you haven't fixed it." "Nope, no problems with this software
at all..."

To answer an earlier question about why I don't report all the bugs I
find in software: I choose my battles. Some bugs are easier to work
around than others, so I stick to reporting the ones that I can write
solid reports on that have a chance of being fixed.