Re: Question to new network device names

On Thursday 24 August 2017 12:30:37 Dan Ritter wrote:

> [...]
> something else (bad) happens.
>
> > But now look at the debates here on, for example, how an SD card
> > is going to appear to the system. The schematic diagram of any
> > laptop looks like a forest of USBs (and other types) so which is
> > going to win the race to become sda?
>
> They don't. The SATA, SATA-DOM or NVMe disk selected by the UEFI or
> BIOS will become sda. Or if you've got an internal USB port with a
> stick in it, that might be a selected candidate. In no case
> should it change without hardware failure or physical
> rearrangement.
>
> The question is, how will your newly plugged in SD card become
> sdk rather than sdj, and the answer is that mass storage devices
> that are expected to be rearranged should be treated differently
> from those which are expected to always be available from
> boot-time onwards.
>
> > > Getting back to the original point, NIC names -- virtually every
> > > computer has exactly one or two NICs, and is best served by eth0
> > > and wlan0. The computers with 3-5 NICs are usually best served
> > > that way. More complex naming schemes are helpful when you have a
> > > router or switch, and it's nice that Debian supports that, but
> > > hardly a good default.
> >
> > There are plenty of ways that you, or Debian, can set a default.
> > But it surprises me that so many people grumble about this change.
>
> People grumble about changes for several nonexclusive reasons:
>
> 1. The change broke what they were doing.
> 2. The change broke their mental model of what they were doing.
> 3. The change did not bring them perceived benefits.
> 4. The change appears arbitrary.
> 5. The change fixed a problem but they perceive better ways to
>    solve the problem.
> 6. The change creates new problems.
>
> > The history of computing is littered with statements like
> > "virtually every computer has exactly one or two NICs".
>
> It used to be zero.
>
> We are currently in the phase of history where this statement is
> true. NICs are both ubiquitous and cheap, yet devices tend to
> come with one (only an ethernet port or only a wifi radio) or
> two (one of each of those, or a wifi radio and a cell radio).
>
> Devices can add more, but they are always special cases: my
> Debian-running firewall has 5 ethernet ports. I occasionally
> add a USB ethernet frob in order to isolate a device that I want
> to talk to directly. Special cases deserve special treatment.
>
> I expect the statement to remain true for the next ten years.
>
> Do you expect differently? If so, why?
>
> > This list is full of postings about the complex DNS system. But
> > how long did /etc/hosts last? Some complexity is unavoidable,
> > but if you try to avoid it, you pay for it later. Look at timezones.
> > Ever allowing computers' internal clocks to run on local time
> > was, with hindsight, a big mistake. Leap seconds might also
> > be seen the same way (still under debate).
>
> /etc/hosts still acts the way it always did -- put in an entry,

That depends entirely on who wrote your /etc/resolv.conf and whether or
not your did a sudo chattr +i /etc/resolv.conf, immediately after
verifying that it works. (and of course that implies it is a real file,
not a softlink to something else.  With N-M in the mix and active that
is the only way to keep it from tearing down your network configuration
and leaving you empty files, and no network, if it cannot find a dhcpd
server)

> Timezones are a human legal-social problem, and the ability of
> technology to deal with those is known to be problematic.

Just as humans are known to be a problem...
> -dsr-

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)