Re: Wireless devices and cryptography in practice (Was: USB wireless keyboard in stretch)

On 08/22/2017 01:17 PM, Mario Castelán Castro wrote:
On 22/08/17 10:22, Jape Person wrote:
Hence, why I suspect that they are vulnerable. I bought these
things because my wife trips over her cables 3 or 4 times a day,
and wireless ones are just easier to deal with from a workstation
logistics standpoint.

Wireless things do not solve the problem of having to cope with
wires. They just replace this with the bigger problem of unauduitable
firmware directly exposed to the attacker (via radio or sometimes
infrared communication).

My suggestion is to instead address cabling directly. If your wife
trips because cables are in the floor, then use some wire to coil the
excess length so that it does not hang. If your cables have to go
through a walkway, then pass them through the bottom of the ceiling,
so that the floor will be clear and thus avoid the “tripping hazard”.
Use a cable extension if required. You may need to go to a hardware
store to buy a cable tray or a wall-mountable cable clamp.

There's no fix for my wife and the presence of cables. In this case, the cables for keyboard and mouse run from the Intel NUC computer nestled in a table beside her recliner to the keyboard on her lap and the mouse on her arm rest. She has yanked the cables free of the computer, pulled the computer out of its shelf, dropped the keyboard and then tripped over it when she tried to retrieve it, and actually toppled the table while "arguing" with the keyboard and mouse cables. Wireless devices were a ploy to reduce the likelihood of her causing damage to the various devices because of her interaction with things that were tied together physically.

Her clumsiness doesn't reduce her charm a bit. But you do have to be careful not to stand next to her in the kitchen. She gestures a lot with her hands -- even when holding knives. Ever seen a Fellini movie?

Kindest, sweetest person I've ever known. Over 60 years together, and she hasn't killed me yet. If she does, everyone can rest assured that it was an accident.

I'll look into getting the test suite from Bastille to see if I
can figure out how to do some testing on these things to see if
they look vulnerable. Do you really think that this is unauditable?
Bastille claims to have produced Open Source tools for doing just
that.

If the device firmware is secret, then it is unauduitable. Of
course, this applies to wired keyboards too. The problem is that
wireless keyboards are exposed to possible attackers, while wired
keyboards are not.

I have not heard about Bastille. Apparently they sell a
vulnerability scanner for wireless devices. I can easily be wrong
here because I just took a quick glance at
“https://www.bastille.net/product/introduction/”;.

By doing vulnerability scanner, one can only test the device for a limited set of *known* vulnerabilities (the test suite must know what to look for). I would not trust any wireless device just because a vulnerability scanning found nothing on it. Without seeing the
firmware source code, one can not tell if it has vulnerabilities
previously unknown.

Point taken. Saves me the time of fiddling with it. I just won't use the wireless stuff on my computers. I live in a large condominium which houses everything from script kiddies to DoD security folks.

Maybe I'll just use the wireless keyboards and mice to control
TVs.

Ugh? I did not know that TVs that have any use for keyboard and mice input existed. I guess it's just yet another class of devices with “walled-garden type” proprietary software providing an incountable number of fancy but completely useless bells and whistles.

What is next? A toaster that makes a Twitter post when the toasts are
ready?

Actually, the LG OLED TVs we have use an OS and application software for which source is readily available. Firmware for the bluetooth and / or usb wireless connectors may be another thing. But I haven't checked because I don't care if someone sends keystrokes to the TV. Yeah, good place for the wireless keyboards and mice. The Web browser on the TV actually works pretty well, though I hardly ever use it. The keyboards make entering search terms or passwords for connection to things like Hulu and Netflix a ton easier than doing such things with a "smart" remote.

That is why opaque cryptographic systems can not be trusted. This
is covered in any practical cryptography book.

Practical cryptography -- isn't that an oxymoron, for most users
at least? [...]
I was referring to *books* that address the issues related to *deploying* cryptographic systems as opposed to theoretical issues or cryptanalysis (for example, the mathematics of elliptic curve cryptography, hash constructions “probably secure” based on the
random oracle model, and other details that are not relevant to the
end users). The question of whether cryptography can be practical is
a very different matter.

I believe that cryptography is already practical. For example, encrypting e-mail with Enigmail and Thunderbird is very easy. Many distributions have graphical installers (lay users are allergic to ncurses-type interfaces) with which an encrypted volume can be set
up easily. Many web sites use TLS transparently to the user, et
cetera.

In a day when people post their most personal experiences and
thoughts on Facebook or Twitter for everyone to read [...]

But about the huge amorphous mass of typical Facebook users, those
are a lost case. The fact that they couldn't be made to properly
secure their information –even if their despicable lives depended on
it– is not a fault of the cryptography systems. It is a fault of
their indolence and incompetence. Related: <https://web.archive.org/web/20140329180453/http://eatliver.com/i.php?n=4043>.

 Personally I do not care about “privacy” in the normal sense,
because I do not care about the opinion of people about myself
(However, I do care about *arguments* that I am doing something
wrong). However, I care abut encryption because I do not want to
leave through the Internet personal information that maybe can be
used *against* me.

Regards.

Precisely. Governments and other entities have proved many times over how untrustworthy they are when they get their hands on personal data. Political and monetary motivations often tempt them to weave fascinating narratives based upon the slimmest of coincidental associations. Once the narratives are created, they are tempted to act upon them -- especially if they need a scapegoat on short notice.

Them: "Don't worry, if you drown when we dunk you, we'll know you weren't a witch! You'll be exonerated!"

Me: glub, glub, glub