USB wireless keyboard in stretch

After upgrading from Jessie to Stretch, my wireless Logitech keyboard (with USB bluetooth receiver) has stopped working in a normal login.

First it did not even work in the grub menu, but after a session with a normal USB keyboard the wireless one is picked up there again.

And then in recovery mode the wireless keyboard works too. First it says

[ sec.microsec]
hidraw: raw HID events driver (C) Jiri Kosina

and finds the usbcore and usbhid drivers. Then it correctly identifies the the keyboard as Logitech K400, finding various inputs and components.

Then, when I start typing at

Give root password for maintenance
(or type Control-D to continue)

it says

[ sec.microsec] logitech-hidpp-device 0003:0460:4024:0006: HID++ device connected.

If I type the root password I can keep typing and (after starting dhclient) do normal command line things.

But if I type Control-D -or if I had not used recovery mode in the first place- then I go to an X session (xfce4 on lightdm) and have no keyboard control, neither with the wireless K400 or the old fashioned one (not super familiar with xfce4 key bindings so the mouse pad on the wireless keyboard is handy!)

Does anyone understand the cause of this problem & how to fix it? Thanks!