Re: No ifconfig

On 08/21/2017 07:40 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> I'll have to study up on this "binding" and how its done.

Note that that's something a program can do if it wants to, but not
something you can generically configure (though individual programs
might offer you configuration options for this), and most programs
that make outgoing connections don't bind the outgoing socket
because they don't care about which IP their packets originate from
and are happy to use the OS's defaults.

In case you want a pointer on how this works from a programming
perspective, I can always recommend Richard Stevens's book UNIX
Network Programming (_the_ book about this topic), and the manpage
of the bind syscall (section 2; man 2 bind) is also a possible
starting point.

Regards,
Christian