Re: No ifconfig

On 19.08.17 09:26, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Saturday 19 August 2017 04:15:42 Jonathan de Boyne Pollard wrote:
> > That is, in fact, what the BSD people did.  On FreeBSD and OpenBSD,
> > for examples, modern ifconfig has fully functional IPv6 capability,
> > with parameters like (to pick just some at random) eui64, prefixlen,
> > auto_linklocal, autoconfprivacy, defaultif, and ifdisabled.
>
> So when do we get that ported and into debian, replacing this gibberish
> generator call ip, so we can just get back to doing the things we want
> to do with a computer?

Gene, ifconfig is SysV flavoured, so not favoured on the Systemd
journey, AIUI.

I'll try Devuan on one of my machines when time permits, but FreeBSD has
a Linux compatibility layer, allowing it to run Linux binaries, IIUC.
It might be worth a try. There are big corporations relying on it on
their servers, so it seems pretty solid. It is more SysV flavoured, and
Systemd-free.

Erik