Re: Buster: problem changing partition size on a RAID 5 array

On 20/08/17 10:04 AM, Pascal Hambourg wrote:
Le 15/08/2017 à 21:47, Gary Dale a écrit :

That still sounds like a bug. If I did a DD from a smaller to a larger hard disk then used gdisk, I'd expect it to see the new drive size and handle it correctly.

Gdisk does handle it correctly. It just does not correct it automatically. If you ask to write the partition table, gdisk will ask if you want to correct it. If you ask to verify the disk, it will display the discrepancy and suggest how to correct it.

I guess it is because gdisk is designed to give full control to the user, unlike parted and Gparted. I like it for this.

If I went to a Doctor, I wouldn't expect to have to prompt him to find out if he thought there was a problem.

Gparted flags that there is an error while gdisk expects you to notice it. Gparted offers a solution. Gdisk just sits there waiting for you to learn enough to find out how to fix it. Both offer the same control. The difference is that gparted does it in a friendlier manner.