Re: Thoughts on Ansible?

RavenLX wrote:

> A friend suggested Ansible, but I think I agree with you that for what I
> do, Ansible would be overkill. I have two laptops that I keep pretty
> identical and so far have done well doing so with only a bash script I
> wrote. As for servers I only maintain 1 web server and an identical test
> server that is a virtual machine on my own computer. So I don't have a
> lot of machines. (Well, to me they are not a lot).

Yes indeed, I think ansible is best when used to manage machines of similar
kind. If you want to keep your notebooks to same package and config level
it could be of advantage to write a simple ansible playbook to upgrade and
configure.

My experience is from a LXD project - roll out of the physical and then
virtual servers ... about 100+ in total.

> Yaml is new to me. I'll have to look into it. I know a little about JSON
> and XML but that's it.

Similar to JSON, but other logic and format. Don't worry if you have time to
play a bit, ansible could be fun and you can not only get management for
your notebooks, vms etc, but also learn YAML.

Note: under jessie you need to install and configure virtual python3 env and
pip install ansible into it.

Best use latest (and greatest) ansible version

regards