Re: No ifconfig

On Sunday 20 August 2017 08:30:05 Erik Christiansen wrote:

> On 19.08.17 18:40, Brian wrote:
> > I know this thread has been a long, interesting and involved one but
> > it included this:
> >
> >  https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2017/08/msg00798.html
> >
> > To remind ourselves (about why net-tools is not in the base system):
> >
> >  Indeed.  It shouldn't, and it doesn't anymore.  Maybe net-tools
> > should be part of the *standard* system, but it certainly does not
> > belong to the *base* system anymore.
> >
> > Continuing:
> >
> >  It is broken in that it just *can't* handle the Linux networking
> > stack except for the bare minimum functionality on IPv4 (no, it
> > doesn't meet even the bare minimum for IPv6), and the only reason we
> > had to keep it around by default (consistent output that some
> > scripts scrapped) was broken by GNU upstream when it took ifconfig
> > out of the bit-rot pit hell and started maintaining it again.
>
> Any reasonable reader of this thread accepts that it should not be in
> the base distro, I'm certain. It would be an act of generosity to old
> fogeys to include it in the standard distro. (They're probably not
> running IPv6, if Gene and I are any guide.)
>
> But it took only a moment to apt-get the package, giving me ifconfig
> on debian 9.0, and nullifying all reason to seek any default
> inclusions.
>
> Gene, if ya can make your own nipples for black powder longarms, then
> a bit of DIY debian isn't a show stopper, I figure.

Thats part of my if it ain't broke, don't fix it upbringing.  And the
available nipples were very badly broken by design, incapable of
igniteing the black substitute powder sold as Blackhorn 209, so I made
one that would.  But I need to get some SS and do them again, regular
steel gradually closes the #68 flashholes with the primer deposits. Hell
to keep them clean. OTOH dirty still does a 1.25" group at 50 meters.
And that _will_ put venison in the pot.

> I've nibbled on the skinny end of "ip" by using "ip route" in lieu of
> "netstat -rn" in the last few days, and could get used to some of it.

While I can't define that its busted, it does give the answer requested,
but its specific and one must read the man page repeatedly in order to
get/set all the data needed. ifconfig is a one size fits all, and
preferable because it does give you everything.  I'll get used to it in
due time even if it sounds like I'm kicking and screaming as I get
sucked into the next generation of networking. IMO of course.  Old
fogey? That too, one that has a lengthy list of BTDT's.

Having a decent recipe for setting up my local network to ipv6, I'd feel
a lot more comfortable and capable of dealing with ipv6 when ipv6 is the
operating network on the other side of my router. 150 miles away is NOT
on the other side of my router...

Where is the tut for doing that?

What I've found seems to assume an ipv6 enabled dhcpd, which would IMO
properly belong in the router/gateway box. Am I using the wrong search
terms?  Dunno.

Thanks Erik

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)