Re: i386 executables on amd64?

On Saturday 19 August 2017 22:10:11 Mario Castelán Castro wrote:

> On 2017-08-19 18:01 -0700 conover@rahul.net (John Conover) wrote:
> >Astonishingly, most of the Wheezy i386 executables run on the Jessie
> >amd64 machine, (which came with the project.)
> >
> >Is this to be expected?
>
> x86-64 CPU can run IA32 programs, even when using a OS (having
> explicit support for this, of course, and GNU/Linux does), so it's not
> unexpected at this point.
>
> What surprised me is that you did not report dependency problems
> with libraries running such an old software. I would have expected
> that your old program would require library versions no longer
> available in Debian.
>
> Regards.

The singular problem I have, in running linuxcnc on an armhf with a
jessie install, is that in a data entry box of the axis interface,
called the MDI, where single command lines of gcode can be entered and
executed, on all the wheezy ia86-64 machines, I can run the cursor back
and forth with the left-right arrow keys and edit the next command
easily.  On the armhf/jessie install on an rpi3b, the arrow keys do not
work, so the mouse must be used very precisely to position the cursor
for an edit.  Its a small, 1 line box about 25 characters long. When the
mouse is running in swarf (metal shavings) up to its ankle bones, making
a smooth move that precisely is, shall we say pickity and time
consuming?

But get this, when I reported this problem to our developers mailing
list, my 5 x86-64 machines that can do that, and have been doing it for
a decade plus, are apparently the only 5 machines on the planet that can
do it!  It does not work on any of the developers own machines, and
never has.

The up-down arrows to scroll thru the history and call it back into the
MDI box to re-execute it work perfectly.

Go figure that one out.  I'm running out of hair, and ways to mutter
wth... :)

The rpi3b may get replaced with a rock64 before too long, it claims it
hasn't the i/o bottleneck the rpi's have, and which cause dropped
key/mouse events. Thats very dangerous around machinery with the power
to maim or kill.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)