Re: kvm/qemu virtual machine can't find hard drives

On 17-08-17, Gary Roach wrote:
> Sorry bob but the  debian 9 archives doesn't include libvirtd or anything
> equivalent. I have been trying to use virt-manager but have gotten a bit
> confused. The screen shot is attached. I have two hard drives. One is a 160
> Gb boot drive called bootdisk and another empty 1 Tb drive called bigdisk.
> It looks like virt-manager picked the empty 1Tb drive and only allocated 20
> Gb to the program. I hit the Volumes + but didn't see any way to add the
> boot drive. Are we talking about a virtual drive that is situated in the
> bigdisk. Is the guest OS situated in the bigdisk. If so, this is not a bad
> thing since I will probably have massive amounts of data produced. But I do
> need to figure out what I am dealing with.
>
> Any help will be appreciated.
>
> Gary R.

Package you want is libvirt-bin and libvirt-daemon-system and
libvirt-clients come as dependences with it. Most of the guides around,
including debian wiki guide about qemu-kvm tell you to install those.
Package bridge-utils too. I see that you talk again about your hard
drives. That is wrong because because virt-manager and libvirt do not
care about your hard drives, it cares about storages and storage
volumes. Default storage volume is at /var/lib/libvirt/images. But I
guess that you do not want your image there, most people do not.
Creating image with virt-manager is as easy as following 5 steps, after
you launch it, click FIle and select create new virtual machine:

1. Choose how you would like to install. Will guess that you have local
install media in form of downloaded ISO. Pick it up, do not touch
architecture options, if you do not need them. Click forward.

2. Use ISO image and click browse. Use browsing to find your download
location. Choose your ISO image. It should automatically detect that it
is debian stretch. Forward.

3. Choose CPU and memory settings. Forward.

4. Enable storage for this virtual machine checked. Choose Select or
create custom storage. Click Manage... Use + signs to make new volume
and storage for your image where you want it, or choose existing one.
You have there options to choose max capacity for it, but no worries, it
can be expanded, it is virtual machine. Use qcow2 format. I have no need
for backing store, but see for yourself if you want it. Finish. Choose
that volume that you've made. Forward.

5. Read to begin the installation screen. You can customize
configuration before install, if you want. By default, on my laptop and
without changing anything in network files, network selection is not
needed, it will choose virtual network 'default' and work out of the
box. Finish and install will start in new window.

5.