Re: kvm/qemu virtual machine can't find hard drives

On 8/17/17, Gary Roach <gary719_list1@verizon.net> wrote:
> On 08/17/2017 10:50 AM, Bob Weber wrote:
>>
>> Most debian installs work easily with a 20 or 20 GB virtual drive.  You
>> create
>> the file necessary with a command like this:
>>
>> qemu-img create -f qcow2 /home/img/Mymachine/drive.img 30G
>>
>> This assumes that /home is mounted on your 1TB drive.  Looks like the
>> packages
>> to get you started are libvirt-daemon-system and virt-manager.
>>

> Sorry bob but the  debian 9 archives doesn't include libvirtd or
> anything equivalent. I have been trying to use virt-manager but have
> gotten a bit confused. The screen shot is attached. I have two hard
> drives. One is a 160 Gb boot drive called bootdisk and another empty 1
> Tb drive called bigdisk. It looks like virt-manager picked the empty 1Tb
> drive and only allocated 20 Gb to the program. I hit the Volumes + but
> didn't see any way to add the boot drive. Are we talking about a virtual
> drive that is situated in the bigdisk. Is the guest OS situated in the
> bigdisk. If so, this is not a bad thing since I will probably have
> massive amounts of data produced. But I do need to figure out what I am
> dealing with.
>
> Any help will be appreciated.

Try dropping the "d" with your searches. It's a trick I learned from
lurking. If I can't find something you all write about, I start
chopping the suggestion into pieces. I just found a few files with
"libvirt" instead of "libvirtd", and they're mentioning virtual
machines.

You know what, I just found something with the "libvirtd", too:
libvirt-daemon. Maybe it's not in Stretch? Both were in Buster. :)

Here it is:

https://packages.debian.org/stretch/libvirt-daemon

There's a typo there if someone wants to have at it. The author
apparently wanted to make sure they got that "e" on the right side of
that "a", whichever side that was supposed to be.... :)

This is a great conversation. I've been wanting to try this, but I
keep forgetting. It's a large pain to keep updated when you've never
used it. We're talking *years* of never used. :D

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* runs with duct tape *