kvm/qemu virtual machine can't find hard drives

Hi all,

Debian 9 (Stretch) system
KDE Desktop
MSI970A-G43 motherboard
AMD FX 4350 processor - not overclocked

Ive been trying to get a virtual machine set up and have run into problems with both virtualbox and kvm/qemu packages. I have a very messy project (Elmer fem) and want things completely walled off from my regular system. So I opted for a virtual machine.

The kvm/qemu package seems to install properly (no errors). But when I try to install Debian 9 into it, the installer can't find my two hard drives sda and sdb. It then ask me to pick from a long list of drivers. I haven't been able to determine what the drivers should be for my system. Sda is boot drive, 500 Gb WD160 and the there is a WD10 1 Tb, ext4 blank drive. Both drives show up on Dolphin so they must be mounted.

Am I missing some library or something? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Gary R.