Re: What tool can I use to make efficient incremental backups?

From: marioxcc.MT@yandex.com
To: debian-user <debian-user@lists.debian.org>

Hello.

Currently I use rsync to make the backups of my personal data, including
some manually selected important files of system configuration. I keep
old backups to be more safe from the scenario where I have deleted
something important, I make a backup, and I only notice the deletion
afterwards.

Each backup snapshot is stored in its own directory. There is much
redundancy between subsequent backups. I use the option "--link-dest" to
make hard links and thus save space for files that are *identical* to an
already-existing file in the backup repository. but this is still
inefficient. Any change to a file, even to its metadata (permission,
modification time, etc.), will result in the file being saved at whole,
instead of a delta.

Can you suggest a more efficient alternative?

I know about bup <https://github.com/bup/bup> but I have not used it
because it warns that “This is a very early version. Therefore it will
most probably not work for you, but we don"t know why. It is also
missing some probably-critical features.”.

I also know about obnam. Unfortunately, the main author it has been
announced that it will be unmaintained because it has become a piece of
engineering, with all the ugly consequences of that, and real
engineering is “not fun” for him.

Thanks.

Stay with rsync