Re: kvm/qemu virtual machine can't find hard drives

On 17-08-17, Gary Roach wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Debian 9 (Stretch) system
> KDE Desktop
> MSI970A-G43 motherboard
> AMD FX 4350 processor - not overclocked
>
> Ive been trying to get a virtual machine set up and have run into problems
> with both virtualbox and kvm/qemu packages. I have a very messy project
> (Elmer fem) and want things completely walled off from my regular system. So
> I opted for a virtual machine.
>
> The kvm/qemu package seems to install properly (no errors). But when I try
> to install Debian 9 into it, the installer can't find my two hard drives sda
> and sdb. It then ask me to pick from a long list of drivers. I haven't been
> able to determine what the drivers should be for my system.  Sda is boot
> drive, 500 Gb WD160 and the there is a WD10 1 Tb, ext4 blank drive. Both
> drives show up on Dolphin so they must be mounted.
>
> Am I missing some library or something? Any help will be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Gary R.

Can you explain steps you used to get to that error message? Think that
you've messed something up in installation process, because installer on
virtual machine should not care about your physical drives, it uses
virtual drives that you've assigned to it. In case that you would like
easy to use install process for qemu-kvm, I would suggest you to install
virt-manager, that is GUI frontend for managing virtual machines.