Re: Thunderbird almost unusable after upgrade

On 8/10/17, Joe <joe@jretrading.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Aug 2017 10:24:43 -0400
> Jape Person <japers@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> After this upgrade
>>
>> thunderbird:amd64 (1:52.2.1-4, 1:52.2.1-4+b1)
>>
>> Thunderbird in Cinnamon DE is almost completely useless because
>> portions of its windows / text / toolbars don't repaint until the
>> window is resized. Is anyone else seeing this?
>>
>> Using different desktop themes or logging in as a different user
>> results in same behavior.
>>
>> I'm curious to know whether this is being seen in different desktop
>> environments, too.
>>

> Not only that, but not just Thunderbird, Firefox also trashed.
>
> New update today OK.

Coincidentally I had just seen this in my inbox earlier:

[SECURITY] [DSA 3928-1] firefox-esr security update; Moritz
Muehlenhoff; 2017.08.10
https://lists.debian.org/debian-security-announce/2017/msg00190.html

I'm only seeing Jessie and Stretch get a mention. I'm current and
haven't seen anything about a new update in Buster.

> Never just have one mail client or one browser installed, at least not
> in Sid...

I resemble that fact. If you lose your primary, how are you ever going
to track down a backup when the primary breaks. Never mind, am
smacking my head as fast as I wrote that. Via terminal command line,
one could:

[your-CHOICE-of-package-manager] search web browser

And then install... via that same terminal command line interface.

But if you were in an emergency situation of need, that's when an
immediately accessible secondary browser would matter. *been there,
done that (on dialup)* :)

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey